Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Breaking Into Cars for a Living...The Most Difficult Cars to Break Into!

I guess I "broke into" my first car (literally, my first car) in the late 70's or early 80's. It was a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 and it was my own car, so technically I guess I wasn't "breaking in", (in fact, if you're actually "breaking" anything, you're probably not doing it right). Back then, when you locked your keys in your car, you fished them out yourself. At least that's what we did. Usually with a coat hanger, straightened out into a rod with a little loop at the end. It was kinda fun actually. Who would ever have thought you could one day make a living at it.
 Now as a "lockout professional", I've unlocked thousands of cars, trucks, big rigs...you name it. Only a handful of small damages, all within my first six months or so (the learning curve). Most vehicles provide very little challenge anymore, and can normally be unlocked within seconds. But occasionally, just when you start to feel invincible, you run into one of "those" lockouts. The one's that can take more than "a few seconds".

The following are, what I consider, some of the more difficult vehicles to "break into":

1. Honda Civic: As easy (and opposite) as the Accord is to unlock, the Civic has been my challenge. I'm talking about the newer Civics, not the one with the pull-up knob (like the Accord). The unlock "switch" pushes in instead of pulling out and is normally quite rigid. I have fished keys out of a purse to push the unlock button on the fob to avoid dealing with the switch. Recently I have found using an air wedge at the top of door and sending rod straight down to button provides better leverage and works much better than coming at an angle.
2. Newer Ford Taurus: Ran into the same challenge as above with a 2012 Taurus recently that would not open with handle pull or push button. Plastic molding on door sounded like it wanted to snap. Keys were on seat so I ended up unlocking with the key fob (again). This is usually a last resort procedure for me.
3. Lexus/Avalon w/auto-lock: These are not a problem anymore but did take some getting used to. It's all about the timing, as the "unlock" will immediately "relock" and you have about half a second to pull the door handle (normally while the car alarm is going off!). Someone once told me that the rear door locks give you about twice as much time before they" relock". Not sure if that's actually the case. Someone let us know.
4. BMW w/deadlock: I used to turn down the BMW's unless the keys were in the ignition, fearing the dreaded deadlocking system. Have actually only run into it a few times and most beamers were fairly easy to unlock via push button or key fob. Included on my list only because of the deadlock possibility.
5. Older Mercedes with dead battery: The ONLY vehicle I was unable to open. Tried everything I knew. Even Googled it that evening and came back the next day. Wish I could remember the model but it had pull up knobs that wouldn't pull up because battery was dead. Couldn't get hood up to charge battery. Actually had the key but would not work with dead battery? Not sure whatever happened with that.
6. Jeep Wrangler hard-top: These used to slow me down every time. I'd use my z-tool to locate what I thought was the correct rod, once stubbornly searching for over an hour. Finally went back to the air wedge. How about 2? Two air wedges at the top of door will allow you to get a reach rod down to unlock button. Last Wrangler only took about 30 seconds.
These are the vehicles I have found to present the most challenge in my years of running a lockout service. Maybe yours are different? If you have vehicles to add or suggestions and helpful tips, please share.

Need help setting up a Google Adwords account for your lockout or locksmith service?
Check out our new book “Breaking Into Cars for a Living”, now available for kindle @ www.amazon.com/dp/B00FG8S1XE or visit us @ www.MrQuickPick.com.
www.QuickPick.net. www.QuickPickLockout.com

No comments:

Post a Comment